Serves 6-7 people
2 kg lamb shoulder
6 -7 cat fish fillets
500 gm Vanamei Shrimp
500 gm small blue shell crabs
2 bags of frozen Okra or 1 1/2 kg of fresh Okra
9 vine tomatoes
3 dl Palm Oil (aka Zumi)
3 dl Vegetable Oil
3 large yellow onions
8 -9 garlic cloves
4 habanero peppers
3 tbsp Anise seeds
4 tbsp grated ginger
4 shrimp bouillon cubes
- Begin by putting 2 onions, garlic cloves, ginger, 3 shrimp bouillon cubes, and two habanero peppers into a blender and blend into a fine paste. Set aside.
- Cube your tomatoes and blend them thoroughly, then set aside.
- Slice you third onion and the remaining two of your habanero peppers, set aside.
- Bring one large pot and a big frying pan.
- Place your small crabs in a deep dish and pour half of the ginger mixture on the crabs, mix well, and allow to marinate.
- Place the vegetable oil into the big pot and wait until it’s 270 degrees hot and start browning your lamb shoulders until they are brown and crispy.
- Once you lamb shoulders are brown and crispy, pour the remaining half of the ginger mixture onto the sizzling lamb and stir well.
- Once the flavors of the giner mixture have infused with the lamb, pour water into the pot until it covers the lamb. Once the water starts to boil, reduce to medium low heat.
- Pour the palm oil into the frying pan and once it melts add the sliced onion and habanero. Saute and allow flavors to mix well and to infuse into the palm oil.
- Next, pour the marinated crab into the palm oil, mix well, and allow the flavors of the onion and the habanero to marry and infuse into with the flavors of the marinated crab. Add the remaining two shrimp bouillon cubes. Mix well.
- Add the blended tomato to the palm oil and crab mixture, mix well and let simmer for about ten minutes.
- Pour the crab mixture into the pot with the simmering ginger lamb, mix well, and allow the flavors to marry. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes are over add the blended Okra, mix well. Allow everything to cook together for about ten minutes. Taste…does it need salt? more habanero? perhaps onion, perhaps garlic. See for yourself.
- Once the stew is nearing its end, go ahead and add the cat fish fillets. Mix carefully and thoroughly.
- Finally, add the vanamei shrimps. Mix well and welcome to heaven!