Feeds 4 – 6 people
12 Spanish peppers
For the filling:
500 gr ground beef
4 tbsp Sesame oil
4-5 chopped cloves of garlic
1 finely chopped yellow onion
4 tbsp grated carrots
1 1/2 tspn sugar
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp white pepper
3 dl cake flour (normal flour works just fine)
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp potato starch (this is my personal touch. find that it makes the result extra crispy)
1 1/2 tspn baking soda
1 tspn salt
1 tspn sugar
also a Dina touch 1 tspn turmeric!
5 dl of ice cold water or carbonated water
3-4 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tspn of Mirin
2 tspn of honey or sugar
- Make a lengthwise incision in the green pepper but without cutting it in half.
- with a small tea spoon scoop out the seeds and any white fibre.
- Mix all the ingredients of the pepper filling in a bowl, add three teaspoons of corn starch to keep the mixture together.
- once filling is done, set aside, and dust the inside and the outside of the peppers with some corn starch, this prevents the filling from falling out once it cooks and it helps in keeping the tempura batter in tact.
- once you have dusted the peppers with the corn starch, start stuffing your peppers with the meat stuffing. Be generous with the stuffing so that the pepper feels compact but done over fill it.
- In a deep bowl mix the dry ingredients of the tempura with the egg. Once you have mixed the dry ingredients, add the ice cold water and mix lightly.
- heat 5 dl of oil in a saucepan or wok. The oil should be piping hot!!
- dip the peppers into the tempura batter and gently slide them into the hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side. Take out and let them rest on a frying rack so as to not get soggy.
- mix the soy sauce ingredients
- dip the peppers into the sauce and eat with a side of rice. Enjoy!